When considering how to treat menopause symptoms, you may decide that conventional options, like hormone replacement therapy and other medications, aren’t a good fit for you. But that doesn’t mean you need to tough it out without support.
Many natural menopause remedies have been shown to gently, yet effectively relieve symptoms like vaginal dryness, mood swings, hot flashes and night sweats. Here are some science-backed natural remedies and supplements for the treatment of menopause symptoms.
Natural Remedies for Vaginal Dryness During Menopause
No need to let vaginal dryness prevent you from enjoying intimacy. Natural alternatives can provide relief from this menopause symptom in the form of ingredients like:
Vitamin E is found in plant-based foods like almonds, red bell peppers, pumpkin and peanuts. Suppositories made from this natural ingredient have been shown to be an effective natural treatment for vaginal dryness symptoms.1
This naturally occurring ingredient works specifically to retract and retain moisture. It’s produced naturally in your body, but production wanes as you age. Foods like bone broth, citrus fruits and leafy greens may help boost hyaluronic acid levels in the body, to help reduce the severity of associated menopause symptoms.
When used topically, hyaluronic acid has been shown to work as well for treating vaginal dryness as prescription estrogen cream.2 Hyaluronic acid is a unique ingredient in that it can retain up to 1000x its weight in moisture. It is also part of the body’s extracellular matrix, which is responsible for hydration and tissue repair. All of these factors help in making it an effective, hormone-free, natural treatment option for addressing vaginal dryness during menopause.
Bonafide's Natural Remedy for Vaginal Dryness
Revaree® is a hormone-free solution that provides uses the ingredient hyaluronic acid to treat vaginal dryness.
Natural Remedies for Mood Swings During Menopause
Mood swings can wreak emotional havoc on the life of a menopausal woman. Several natural remedies can help smooth things out and potentially balance volatile mood swings. These remedies include:
Research suggests that meditation, a 100% natural menopause treatment, may help ease psychological symptoms of menopause like depression and anxiety, in addition to easing mood swings.3 You can even download a meditation app (such as Calm or Headspace) to your smartphone to get started.
Made by worker bees to feed their queen, royal jelly is rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. It has been shown in clinical studies to improve mood,4 making it an excellent natural remedy for menopausal mood swings, as well as irritability.
Natural Remedies for Hot Flashes During Menopause
Few menopausal symptoms are as dreaded as hot flashes, which can strike without warning and often seem to happen at the worst possible times (like in the middle of a meeting). Characterized by sensations of heat, flushing of the skin, sweating and anxiety, hot flashes affect around 80% of women during menopause.5 Fortunately, symptoms like menopausal hot flashes can be well controlled with natural treatments like:
Sage is so much more than just a culinary herb. Sage capsules have been found to be an effective natural menopause treatment for easing the severity of hot flashes.6 Sage can also be brewed into a refreshing tea, or sage essential oil can be used to make a cooling face and body spray.
Swedish Flower Pollen
This blend of pollen made from flowering plants native to Sweden has been shown to be an effective ingredient in helping to reduce menopause symptoms, such as the frequency and intensity of hot flashes and night sweats in menopausal women.7 The use of flower pollen extract has been recognized as a successful, hormone-free ingredient used for improving women’s health. Researchers have conducted numerous studies showing a link between flower pollen extract use and its impact on menopause symptoms. Women who have taken the extract were said to have experienced less menopause symptoms as well as achieved ; better sleep and overall improvements in quality of life.8
Bonafide's Solution for Menopausal Hot Flashes
Relizen® is a prescription-free dietary supplement whose key ingredient is Swedish Flower Pollen. It's designed to reduce the frequency and intensity of menopausal hot flashes.*
Natural Remedies for Night Sweats During Menopause
Speaking of night sweats, is there anything more unpleasant than waking up soaked in sweat? Night sweats are a common symptom for many women during menopause, but they don’t have to ruin your rest. Some of the best natural treatment options for night sweats include:
St. John’s Wort
Science suggests this herb may be an effective natural supplement for menopause, helping to relieve symptoms such as sweating, hot flashes, mood swings and other common symptoms.9 Please note that St. John’s Wort does interact with a number of medications, so you’ll want to check with your healthcare provider before considering this supplement.
When done in a clinical setting, hypnosis may be effective for reducing vasomotor menopause symptoms — those related to the restriction or dilation of blood vessels; such as night sweats and hot flashes. In one randomized clinical trial, women who underwent clinical hypnosis reported a reduction in their menopause symptoms, specifically less hot flashes and better sleep, among other significant symptom improvements.10
For All-Around Menopause Symptom Relief, Try Exercise
When it comes to naturally alleviating symptoms of menopause, exercise is queen. Regular physical activity can be a source of physical and emotional relief, no matter where you’re at in your menopause journey.
Exercising for Menopause
Exercise is good for pretty much all of the symptoms associated with menopause. It can help you combat menopausal weight gain, keeps your stress and mood swings in check, promotes healthy sleep and maintains bone health. In one study, menopausal women who exercised three hours per week for one year reported improved physical and mental health, as well as overall quality of life.11
Naturally Powerful Solutions for Perfectly Natural Symptoms
Discover naturally powerful remedies for the natural symptoms that occur throughout women's lives.
- Parnan Emamverdikhan A, Golmakani N, Tabassi SA, Hassanzadeh M, Sharifi N, Shakeri MT. A survey of the therapeutic effects of Vitamin E suppositories on vaginal atrophy in postmenopausal women. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2016;21(5):475-481. doi:10.4103/1735-9066.193393
- Jokar A, Davari T, Asadi N, Ahmadi F, Foruhari S. Comparison of the Hyaluronic Acid Vaginal Cream and Conjugated Estrogen Used in Treatment of Vaginal Atrophy of Menopause Women: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. Int J Community Based Nurs Midwifery. 2016;4(1):69-78.
- Wong C, Yip BH, Gao T, et al. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) or Psychoeducation for the Reduction of Menopausal Symptoms: A Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trial. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):6609. Published 2018 Apr 26. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-24945-4.
- Iegaki N, Narita Y, Hattori N, Hirata Y, Ichihara K. Royal jelly reduces depression-like behavior through possible effects on adrenal steroidogenesis in a murine model of unpredictable chronic mild stress. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2020;84(3):606-612. doi:10.1080/09168451.2019.1691496
- Bansal R, Aggarwal N. Menopausal Hot Flashes: A Concise Review. J Midlife Health. 2019;10(1):6-13. doi:10.4103/jmh.JMH_7_19
- Dadfar F, Bamdad K. The effect of Saliva officinalis extract on the menopausal symptoms in postmenopausal women: An RCT. Int J Reprod Biomed. 2019;17(4):287-292. Published 2019 May 28. doi:10.18502/ijrm.v17i4.4555
- Winther K, Rein E, Hedman C. Femal, a herbal remedy made from pollen extracts, reduces hot flushes and improves quality of life in menopausal women: a randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel study. Climacteric. 2005;8(2):162-170. doi:10.1080/13697130500117987
- Goldstein SR, Veledar E, Perez Ojalvo S, et al. Menopause. 2017;24:14:1455
- Eatemadnia A, Ansari S, Abedi P, Najar S. The effect of Hypericum perforatum on postmenopausal symptoms and depression: A randomized controlled trial. Complement Ther Med. 2019;45:109-113. doi:10.1016/j.ctim.2019.05.028
- Elkins GR, Fisher WI, Johnson AK, Carpenter JS, Keith TZ. Clinical hypnosis in the treatment of postmenopausal hot flashes: a randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2013;20(3):291-298. doi:10.1097/gme.0b013e31826ce3ed
- Villaverde-Gutiérrez C, Araújo E, Cruz F, Roa JM, Barbosa W, Ruíz-Villaverde G. Quality of life of rural menopausal women in response to a customized exercise programme. J Adv Nurs. 2006;54(1):11-19. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03784.x